Quickclass has a disclaimer to make here. Having not owned a car since 1993, the intervening quarter-century has instead left us to fend our way through the world’s mean streets on 2 wheels and thigh-power. Wouldn’t have changed this for anything, even a Tesla S!
To celebrate all things bicycle, here are our Top 10 favourite Quotes about what could STILL become the world’s favorite means of getting around:
- ““I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle; I want to ride my bicycle; I want to ride my bike; I want to ride my bicycle; I want to ride it where I like…; I don’t believe in Peter Pan, Frankenstein or Superman; All I wanna do is bicycle, bicycle, bicycle…”
- Apple-founder Steve Jobs told a great bike anecdote. When ranking all living species by their efficiency in moving around (ie Joules of energy required to move 1 kg of animal 1 meter forward), humanity sits about 2/3rds the way down the list. Hardly dominating. The Condor takes the prize btw, riding thermals above and through Andean canyons… BUT a man on a bicyle is TWICE as efficient as a Condor! Jobs wanted the computer to become ‘A Bicycle for the Mind’
- “Bicycles are the indicator species of a community, like shellfish in a bay.”
P. Martin Scott
- “The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart.”
Iris Murdoch, ‘The Red and the Green’
- “I live and breathe bike transportation. Does that make me a granola-crunching, world-saving utopian? Actually, my riding has a lot to do with what’s good for me. Riding makes me healthy. It saves me time. It makes me feel good and gives me energy to do more in life. Of course, getting around by bike is a green thing to do. And altruism does have its rewards. Frankly, I wouldn’t mind saving the world. Makes one want to crunch some granola.”
US bike builder Joe Breeze, VeloNews, 2005
- “Truly, the bicycle is the most influential piece of product design ever.”
Hugh Pearman, Design Week, 12 June 2008
- “[Cycling] is easily the quickest way around central London, faster than bus, Tube or taxi. You can predict precisely how long every journey will take, regardless of traffic jams, Tube strikes or leaves on the line. It provides excellent exercise. It does not pollute the atmosphere. It does not clog up the streets.”
Newscaster Jeremy Paxman
- “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.”
John F. Kennedy
- “My wife…thinks cycling is great way to spend time as a family while burning a few calories. For her, the family ride is quality time. Then again, she does not have the trailer with 50 or so stuffed animals and the 2-year-old singing “Old McDonald” attached to her bike as we climb what must be Mont Ventoux. Hmm … now that I think about it, cycling is the best way to burn a bazillion calories and hang with the family.”
US bike shop owner John Kibodeaux, VeloNews, 2005
- “When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race.”
So, what are you waiting for?
Dust off that trusty but dusty steel steed, pump a little air in those tires… and hit some tarmac today. Your mind, your body and the planet will thank you!